There are a lot of people enrolling for online chess courses everyday and for good reason. Chess has been known to help in improving problem-solving skills and memory. In addition to that chess also helps make a mind sharper.
But, What is Chess?
Chess is a strategic board game. It’s as simple as that, There are a total of 32 pieces on the board, 16 belonging to each of the players.
So, without further ado let’s get into the skin of it: –
1. The game consists of 2 sides, White and Black and there are 6 types of pieces on the board
2. The pieces are: 8 Pawns, 2 Knights, 2 Bishops, 2 Rooks, A King and A Queen
3. The objective of the game is to defend your King while simultaneously trying to capture the Opponent’s King
4. Each different kind of piece moves in a different way: –
- The King can move one square in any direction
- The Queen can move to any vacant square in any direction
- A Rook can move any number of vacant blocks horizontally or vertically but not diagonally
- A Bishop can move any number of squares diagonally
- A Knight moves in a L shaped pattern, moving 2 squares horizontally and 1 square vertically
- A Pawn can move a step forward but not backwards.
5. At the start of the game the pieces are arranged in the following order: –
- The rooks are placed on the outside corners, right and left edge.
- The knights are placed immediately inside of the rooks.
- The bishops are placed immediately inside of the knights.
- The queen is placed on the central square of the same color as that of the player: white queen on the white square and black queen on the black square.
- The king takes the vacant spot next to the queen.
- The pawns are placed one square in front of all of the other pieces.
6. The game is a turn-based game and you are only allowed to move your pieces when it’s your turn
7. You and your opponent have to make a move when it’s your turn and aren’t allowed to skip a move
8. The game ends when the opponent has captured your king or you have captured the opponent’s king
9. The King is in check when there is at least 1 enemy piece attacking him and if he cannot escape check and has no possible moves to escape it, Then he has been checkmated and the game ends
10. The game can end in a draw is some cases
So these were the basic rules and intricacies of the game of chess, let us know if we missed something in the comments.
But, what if you want to learn more?
Well, there are a plethora of Online Chess courses available on Wizaru for you to choose from.
The question still remains,
Why Online Chess Courses?
This question can be broken up into 2 parts
- Why Chess?
- Why Online Chess?
Chess is a strategic board game that has many levels of advancements and quirks so it can take a lot of time to actually get good at playing chess, and even if you’re already good at chess it never hurts to try and get better.
Why Online Chess?
Chess is also one of the best and most accessible games to learn on an online platform, as unlike other games like Football or Cricket it can be played online and still work the same way with almost the same set of fundamentals across the board. Sure, you cannot see the opponent and try to guess what they’re thinking, by the way, the look at the board but compare that to others like Football or something like Photography and start to see the difference.
So what are you waiting for, enroll now and see the improvement for yourself?
Here’s something we think you’d like: – 5 Fun Summer Activities for kids